Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Book Club - Wednesday, Mar. 11th.


Since can’t make it to Book Club tonight, I thought I had better make my report here.

I have had plenty of time for reading. First, I read a small book that Ben had to read for 7th grade. ‘Ties That Bind – Ties That Break’ by Lensey Namioka. Short historical novel about Chinese society in the early 1900s, more specifically the practice of foot binding. I enjoyed it, Ben didn’t.

Next, before we left, Jenny recommended ‘The Pillars of the Earth’ by Ken Follett. A very thick historical novel set in England in mid 1100’s, about the construction of a cathedral and the lives surrounding it. It spans over 40 year and is a real page turner. A good story and an easy read, I would recommend it, and I plan to read the sequel. But I thought it lacked real historical detail, like you find in the ‘Outlander’ series and was defiantly not as closely tied to real history as the Phillippa Gregory novels (like ‘the Other Boleyn Girl’).

Currently I am reading Leo Tolstoy which is a challenge. Turns out Leo fought in the Crimean War and wrote his first recognized works while he was serving. ‘The Sevastopol Stories’ we found in a collection of Tolstoy here in the apartment. I started with ‘Sevastopol in December’; I lasted on evening -description of an officer walking though a hospital tent. ‘Sevastopol in May’; I lasted one evening – description of a young officer’s insecurities regarding his patriotism and his social status. There was probably more to it, but too bored to continue. ‘Sevastopol in August- 1855’; I have lasted a few days, think I can make it, it’s not that long. Story of two brothers, one much older and an experienced officer returning to the front after an injury. The other just arriving at the war and finds out it is not as glamorous and he is not as brave as he expected (do you see a theme here??). I am sure it will have a tragic ending.

Unfortunately I will have time to finish Tolstoy and still have time to read something else. Next is ‘The Moor’s Last Sigh’ by Salman Rushdie.

So that is my report……I am sorry I will miss Book Club. Have nice glass of red for me.
The photo is of the main street in Sevastopol, very near to where we live.

Kelley

1 comment:

  1. Have just caught up on your blog after a couple days behind so I will also add my congratulations to the new family!!! The picture is wonderful. Everyone looks so happy and I'm sure Ben can't wait to meet his new sister.

    Safe travels. . .Tammy

    ReplyDelete